The De Filippis family uses semi-precious and hard stones to comprise intricate and lifelike pictures in mosaic form. In their laboratory and architectural design studio, located in the former residence of the Pitti Family, master craftsmen use a centuries-old process to create museum-quality artwork.
The family traces back four generations to 1890, when great-grandfather Emilio and his brothers set out to become masters in their separate fields, Emilio to study marble sculpture at L’Academie des Beaux Arts in Paris; another brother worked as a master timber craftsman for the Vatican Sacristy and a third as a painter whose work can be viewed today in the Secret Room of the Vatican Museum.
Emilio handed down his knowledge to his son, Ernesto, who carried on the traditions with his own son, Emilio (Ilio). Established, Ilio established his laboratory in 1982 where he expands his reputation for pietra dura with his sons Isse and Iory.
Address: Piazza de' Pitti, 23 red, 50125 Firenze FI, Italy
Phone: +39 055 282127